Friday, August 6, 2010

Eliza's Backstory : From nothing to swimming

I love chocolate, I will not give it up. I accept it is my weakness and until recently I was resigned to all of these things. But now I am making chocolate work for me. I allow myself it but it's losing some enjoyment, because I know I will need to work harder to burn it off.

I am a faddy dieter, sticking half heartedly to the various diets and exercise clubs out there, for approx 3 months maximum. Then I either become bored or I lose momentum and it all goes to pot. I love the buzz of something new but once that novelty wears off, I find myself looking for the next best thing. So while I understand the appeal of Weightwatchers, Slim Fast, The GI Diet etc etc, they don't work for me, because I feel trapped into their methods. They try to give you options and load you with nutritional information but I rebel against it because I can't stand being dictated to and convince myself it's a cult....ok dramatic.

Anyway so in January, Juliette rang me one weekend and asked if I would like to go running on a regular basis. Inexperience in this sport made me hesitant and laziness made my mind run riot with possible reasons that would prevent me from doing this. However, something in my head thought DO IT. I think a few friends had successfully got fit through running, the positives of it such as being free, being outdoors, with a friend, getting fit all appealed and for those reasons I happily agreed. Oh and the fact that a park which was a 3 min walk from my house was the perfect base to start, with some inclines and flat ground....and a swing :-)

So over the course of about maybe 5 months we ran mornings in the snow, the cold, the light showers and then the sun. I think we did very well. However towards the end of the 5 months, I started finding myself feeling less enthusiastic about it, looking for excuses not to run, putting it off when I should have just got up and gone and I realised that having given it a good try, running maybe wasn't my THING.

So I decided to give swimming a go. I was already doing Pilates and on and off working out on a home cross trainer but I love being in water and so we began swimming...

And we both love it! We have been going about 2 months now and getting up early three times a week to be there. We average 30 mins swimming each time. It's really working for us and I think we have found our thing! Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment